03 January 2008

New Years Resolutions

Good ones, I promise! None of this I'm-going-to-work-out-x-number-of-times-a-week-and-do-all-sorts-of-
other-things-that-I-never-get-around-to-on-a-weekly-basis shit. They're totally manageable. There's only two of them. I can only remember the first one at the moment.

It is this: I will swatch like a good knitter. TOO MANY TIMES (read: twice) I have been seriously owned by the knitting gods for either not making a swatch (the first time) or making dinky little 3x2 inchers. I am announcing to the world that I have learned (via this thing I'm making for Danielle) that there is a reason we measure our gauge over four inches. The reason? (you ask): to prevent tearing out large portions of ...things...

I'm sure my dear friend Cory, who is embarking on a wicked fair isle sweater for winter term, knits real gauge swatches. I assume this because she manages to knit things that fit. Someday, I will be able to do that, too.

You might think to yourself, "We went through this with that blue tank top. You still knit measly swatches after that. Why should I believe you're going to actually go through with it this time?" ...Umm, I was going to say it only applies to large projects, like certain projects for parental units' birthdays and full-on garments. That doesn't seem convincing enough, though. Oh well. Really. It's going to happen!

Perhaps I'll remember the other resolution later. Come to think of it, it might have been simply to blog on a regular basis. It kind of sucks to look back at the archives and realize there have been month-long (or longer) spans of time I haven't posted. It's really not that difficult. Once a month, I guess is what I'm saying. I don't know how that'll work if I spend the summer studying Russian in St. Petersburg, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

And yes, I used the word 'wicked' three paragraphs ago, and I am from the Twin Cities Metropolitan Area. Don't question it, Boston. Quit being elitist.

... Hey Boston, I'm sorry for being hard on you. You're cool. Happy New Year, Boston.

Happy New Year everyone else, too, and to those of you who can read it, с новым годом!

2 comments:

Cory Ellen said...

Unfortunately, I am a fickle gauge swatcher. I have swatched for both of my sweaters because I was somewhat terrified of making the wrong size, but I have to force myself to swatch for anything else. :D
Someone asked about you at Smith's yesterday, and thought about how I miss our crazy knit-nerd talk!
Hope Danielle's Very Secret Project is coming along.

linden said...

how is that very secret project coming since we last talked? and good for you. i didn't swatch for that thing i'm making for my mom, which is stupid of me, too. oh wait, i was going to, but the way the gauge was written on knitty was perplexing, i gave up and just started the project. so let's hope for the best.