I'm very optimistic about beginnings, and this new year is a perfect example. There's a tiny voice that wants to fight back with cynicism, but I'm working to keep the happiness and momentum strong. We're only a week in, and already I've been able to tie up (or weave in) some loose ends and make a good dent in what needs to happen. (Thanks, dangerously cold temperatures that shut down the city!)
However, I want to do this progress thing right, and so I'm going to let my chickens hatch before they're counted. Instead of what I'm working on, here's what's finished!
|Commute Socks 3!|
|Pattern: Campfire Socks, by Jacquelynn Vance-Kuss.|
Yarn: 2 skeins Patons Kroy Socks Jacquards (75% wool, 25% nylon;
166 yd/152 m per 50 g) in Fern Rose Jacquard.
Campfire Socks is one of my favorite sock patterns, but I heavily modify it each time - I always cast on more stitches, and this time I added a German heel according to Nancy Bush's instructions from Knitting Vintage Socks. The toes have added character because I didn't look at the yardage on the label until I found myself at a downtown bus stop holding a toe-less sock and the teeniest ball of yarn. (Toes are knit in leftover Regia Kaffe Fassett Design Line from my last sock project.) The next socks I knit with Kroy will definitely be toe-up.
|Pattern: Triinu Scarf, by Nancy Bush.|
Yarn: 2 skeins Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud (100% alpaca;
440 yd/402 m per 50g) in Peppermint.
I knit added one repeat widthwise and knit until I ran out of yarn, so it's huge. Toto, I've a feeling we're not in scarf territory anymore.
|Pattern: Multnomah, by Kate Ray.|
Yarn: 1 skein The Sanguine Gryphon Bugga! (70% wool, 20% cashmere,
10% nylon; 412 yd/377 m per 125 g) in Painted Damsel.
I knit this during the fall, and it is perhaps the squishiest yarn I've ever worked with, and also happens to be in the best colors known to humankind.
|Big Gray Squish|
|Pattern: Lehe Square Shawl, by Nancy Bush.|
Yarn: 5.5 skeins Cestari Traditional Wool 2 Ply (100% wool;
170 yd/155 m per 100 g) in Natural Medium Gray.
I knit this a few years ago. It's one of my favorite projects, and has been getting much love as a lap blanket in recent months. It was even displayed in a little community art show in Minnesota, but for some reason, the only ends that got woven before today were at the cast-on and bind-off edges. This thing is finally, officially, completely finished!
It feels wonderful to have so many things finished, and the blocking/end-weaving/pattern-writing momentum I've got going hopefully means more exciting FOs are on their way.