07 February 2008

Exciting new things! + Lent

First of all, as part of my Lenten discipline (Lent having sneaked up on us so quickly) is this complaint-free world thing I heard about on Ian and Margery's show on FM 107.1 (a MN radio station). So, I'm not complaining, gossiping, or unconstructively criticizing. Or rather, I'm trying to teach myself not to. I'm also trying to get in a small amount (no definition, just some) recreational reading each day, because I've found that while I'm at school, that almost never happens. Sad face!

On to the excitement! NEW BLOG! RUSSIAN blog! Whoa. Dang. This is going to be fun. It's exactly what I've been looking for: an outlet for translating all of my ridiculous interests into Russian and imposing them on classmates! Because really, they HAVEN'T heard enough about the X Files yet. Also, I shall hopefully translate (for no reason whatsoever) at least one knitting pattern into Russian. Not that I have any idea what that would look like. ...I don't think anyone else in the class is this excited.

As far as the scheduling goes, I think I'm reaching a point where it's all coming together. I think I liked the Theater and Revolution class (in the Russian dept.) I took today. So, I think I'm going to drop out of Econ 101, which wasn't feeling productive, and do a private reading instead. I'm thinking about focusing on Anna Politkovskaya's works. I could even try to read some articles of hers in Russian... we are learning participles, after all. I hear it will transform my reading capabilities.

Other than that, there's not much going on. I didn't knit on Monday (I forced myself to rest after last weekend's marathon sessions), and I don't think I knit yesterday. I'll have to knit at least one row today.

Also, I'm trying an experiment. It hasn't worked yet, but here's my hypothesis: If I affix sudoku puzzles to the wall next to my bed and have a pencil stored nearby, when I wake up in the morning and don't want to get out of bed, I can do puzzles to help me stay awake, but still get the satisfaction of not leaving a warm bed for a little while longer. Maybe I should make one of my alarms designate 'puzzle time'. It's a thought. Or I could try NY Times crosswords...

Well, this post has devolved into inconsequential topics. We'll end it here.

No comments: