07 January 2014

Momentum

I'm very optimistic about beginnings, and this new year is a perfect example. There's a tiny voice that wants to fight back with cynicism, but I'm working to keep the happiness and momentum strong. We're only a week in, and already I've been able to tie up (or weave in) some loose ends and make a good dent in what needs to happen. (Thanks, dangerously cold temperatures that shut down the city!)


However, I want to do this progress thing right, and so I'm going to let my chickens hatch before they're counted. Instead of what I'm working on, here's what's finished!

Commute Socks 3!
Pattern: Campfire Socks, by Jacquelynn Vance-Kuss.
Yarn: 2 skeins Patons Kroy Socks Jacquards (75% wool, 25% nylon;
 166 yd/152 m per 50 g) in Fern Rose Jacquard.
Campfire Socks is one of my favorite sock patterns, but I heavily modify it each time - I always cast on more stitches, and this time I added a German heel according to Nancy Bush's instructions from Knitting Vintage Socks. The toes have added character because I didn't look at the yardage on the label until I found myself at a downtown bus stop holding a toe-less sock and the teeniest ball of yarn. (Toes are knit in leftover Regia Kaffe Fassett Design Line from my last sock project.) The next socks I knit with Kroy will definitely be toe-up.

Triinu
Pattern: Triinu Scarf, by Nancy Bush.
Yarn: 2 skeins Knit Picks Alpaca Cloud (100% alpaca;
440 yd/402 m per 50g) in Peppermint.
I knit added one repeat widthwise and knit until I ran out of yarn, so it's huge. Toto, I've a feeling we're not in scarf territory anymore.

Multnomah

Pattern: Multnomah, by Kate Ray.
Yarn: 1 skein The Sanguine Gryphon Bugga! (70% wool, 20% cashmere,
10% nylon; 412 yd/377 m per 125 g) in Painted Damsel.
I knit this during the fall, and it is perhaps the squishiest yarn I've ever worked with, and also happens to be in the best colors known to humankind.

Big Gray Squish

Pattern: Lehe Square Shawl, by Nancy Bush.
Yarn: 5.5 skeins Cestari Traditional Wool 2 Ply (100% wool;
170 yd/155 m per 100 g) in Natural Medium Gray.

I knit this a few years ago. It's one of my favorite projects, and has been getting much love as a lap blanket in recent months. It was even displayed in a little community art show in Minnesota, but for some reason, the only ends that got woven before today were at the cast-on and bind-off edges. This thing is finally, officially, completely finished!

It feels wonderful to have so many things finished, and the blocking/end-weaving/pattern-writing momentum I've got going hopefully means more exciting FOs are on their way.

2 comments:

Lynne said...

Yay for finishing! Also, is that Multnomah knit in The Body Under the Mattress colorway? I knit my Trillian in that color and love watching people's faces when they really like it and ask which color it is.

fecknom said...

That color is amazing, too! The Multnomah I made is in Painted Damsel, which is a little more muted than Body Under the Mattress. A little more brown and a little less blue, but they do look really similar in the photos.